Saturday, October 25, 2008

Family research

I have been researching my scottish family on my mothers side, the Hendersons came from a small village in Scotland called Auchtertool. I have managed to find Church records from this village dating back to 1708 and through this I am hoping to confirm relationships and fill in some gaps.

To find this information I have been using the Latter Day Saints website, Family search. This is a great resource for several reasons, one is that it is freely available on the internet, another is that it is worldwide (although USA is most represented) and also it goes back a long way. Some other sites like Ancestry.com do not seem to go back very far mainly because it relies so much on the census which means before 1840 there is little information.

http://familysearch.com

No comments: