Monday, December 8, 2008

Thing 11 - tagging

I had a look at the various recommended sites and searched on "Northern Ireland genealogy" Mainly because I am having problems researching my family in Northern Ireland so any opportunity I search for leads to them.

The sites had a variety of information although several of them had the same sites, for instance google and zuula had very similar results. Googles search was actually very good - it resulted in some major websites which I knew about but had found through other means.

Delicious was good because it gave me some sites I had not found like "ballymoney ancestry" and "ireland & northern ireland genealogy links and chat". The main problem with them was that different people had bookmarked different pages within the same site so it came up with the same site several times.

connoteo and citeulike were both a bit too academic for this search did not really find anything relevant.

The two library catalogues were pretty good and came up with some great books. Murdoch & Uni of Queensland

kart00 was interesting because it looked different and the sites brought up were not brought up with other sites. I found it a bit hard to use because there was a santa and sleigh over the top and it was a bit hard to read around it.

I would definitely go back to delicious and it confirmed what a good tool google is and of course library catalogues are always great.

I think the best site I came across was one which I had not found before called : John Grenham - Irish history & genealogy Not a lot of hype but a clear informative site with some good links.

No comments: